This week, two of the bands I helped sign in the first quarter of this year, put new material online. One was Sophie Jamieson, the other was Cosmo Sheldrake.
1. Courtney Barnett makes me cry
2. Courtney Barnett will make you cry
3. I’m crying
Week two, and jesus, the world has been a bit busy. This week, I started with the crew at Outside Org, helping them look after scouting as they build a new music division back in the company. But that’s dull business chat, and what we’re all really here for is to find out about new music.
- Glastonbury is going to be incredible. Those that shun, know nothing of it’s wonder.
- There’s a jazz trio in South London creating hoofing 80’s power ballads. They’re called Parshmaune - check them out.
- Working from a pub on Tottenham Court Road is one of the single best ways to spend an afternoon.
On to the music, this week:
— James Murphy
From now on - every week, I’m going to stick up five tracks I’ve got the utmost belief, love and hope for. Previously over the last year, I’ve been running The Flashpod - a daily music portal, posting one tune for every day of the year.
Over the space of the year, three trends became pretty much obvious.
1. DJ’s were taking over
2. Guitar bands should jog on
3. South London is producing, single-handedly some of the most interesting, independent, forthright music appearing anywhere at the moment.
But moving forward -